Wednesday, February 3, 2016

For the First Time in Forever, There'll be Magic, There'll be Light

I feel like I have had a very packed few days, so prepare yourselves for a novel.

Saturday was TRADITIONS, the longest and most magical of any company orientations known to person-kind. The day started off a little rough when the Traditions bus from Vista Way was nowhere to be found, but a van was dispatched so we still arrived very promptly. And very early. The day involved a Disney look check, company history and orientation, introduction of the Four Keys (SAFETY COURTESY SHOW EFFICIENCY for anyone who hasn't heard me belt them out before) and of course, a spectacular but sadly brief trip to Magic Kingdom, both backstage in the Utilidors and onstage.
The point of the expedition was to find Cast Members displaying the Four Keys, as well creating magical memories for Guests. Myself and two new American friends and Cast Members, Drew and Sarah, decided this was an ideal time to skip over to Castle Couture and get our first round of pixie dust. Upon return to the classroom, each of us earned a critter (a figurine of one of the Fab Five characters [Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, Pluto and Donald}) for sharing how our magical experience related to the Four Keys.

Sneaky pixie dust friends at Castle Couture
After receiving a schedule for the next few days, we were released into the world with brand new blue Cast IDs and sparkly new name tags delivered by the boss himself. I know I've done it before but it was still magical.
You have to participate a lot to win this many Critters.

My name tag says "Perth, Canada".
I jetted off to Hollywood Studios within 15 minutes of getting back to Vista Way. The Walker family (remember how I was a lab tech who lived in St Thomas with a fabulous lady named Danielle and two weens?) was having their Disney World weekend before their Disney Cruise and obviously, since they were on my turf, I needed to see them. I rode Star Tours while they waited for Rock'n Roller Coaster, and we joined up for a typically magical presentation of Fantasmic. The convenience of car ownership had me home by ten.
Mad Fantasmic selfie skills

Sunday was another round of orientation at Disney University. I recently learned that, with the small group of Cultural Representatives with whom I arrived, were over 2,000 Disney College Program participants. This fact is important because, when I was waiting for a bus (with a German merchie named Mari), the first bus to Disney University completely filled up and they sent another a few minutes later... and I remembered why I don't bus to places. The day started with a class called Welcome to Operations from 0730 (YEAH) to 1130, at which point we were given more schedule for the day and, after lunch, the merchandise cast members had an Introduction to Merchandise class.
We were done for the day at 1400, but Sarah (from the UK) and I had the idea to go to Magic Kingdom, since we were right behind it and we wanted to exercise our limited time holiday discount (never fear, it comes back in November). We bussed to the Ticket & Transportation Center and took a monorail until we gleefully disembarked at Magic Kingdom, dressed conspicuously in our business casual attire. We had come for a specific reason and to purchase a specific item, so we went to Uptown Jewelers. They have a relatively new pale pink room dedicated to Pandora. After a few minutes of indecision and a scary moment of my Cast ID almost not working, we both purchased a lovely bead representing Spaceship Earth and the monorail. As we were leaving the store, I was lamenting not running into anyone I knew (it happens all the time). Not five seconds later, I ran into people I knew. It's a small world after all.
We made a brief stop at Casey's Corner for one of my fave MK snacks (corndog nuggets) and perused the Emporium for a bit to satisfy the money burning a hole in Sarah's pocket. I was good and didn't purchase anything else... yet. We then took a brief round on the People Mover (so lovely) and skipped through Fantasyland for another round of pixie dust (twice in two days for me), and headed home. My business casual flats are fine but they are not made for marathons that are park days.

The People Mover in Tomorrowland is the best for sore feet.
New UK merchie Sarah is in heaven.

Monday was my first day onstage. I met my trainer, Micayla, in the Epcot Cast Services break room. Lindsay was kind enough to do a drive with me last night to both Epcot parking and Disney University. Karen, my slightly bizarre but recently totally updated GPS, remembered where Epcot parking was but I don't trust her 100%. Disney University is Unplottable* (*Harry Potter reference) and is hard to find if you don't know how to get there. There was a table of international participants (including a new American friend) waiting for our trainers to arrive, but mine was the winner. Naturally. We clocked in and reported to costuming, which has had a complete overhaul lately so I was totally lost. We were easily able to locate the plaid aisle, and after a few rounds in the change room and a few reject sizes, I was finally in my sweet sweet new lumberjack costume. I also forgot how weird tucking shirts in is. I had also been given the heads up to purchase solid black sneakers and shorts for underneath the full full plaid skirt. Nicole and I had spent a fair amount of time selecting white socks at Walmart a few days previous.

Why thank you, Welcome package.

I got a locker in which to store my business casual clothing, I received a brand new lanyard full of trading pins (SO EXCITED FOR PINS) and we went for early lunch, after which we reported to the Canada pavilion for official business. The first day of training is referred to a "Tier 1", and the last time I experienced it, I was teaching it. Tier 1 has definitely changed for the better. Today Micayla and I focused on pavilion orientation, the four keys onstage and backstage, and guest interaction. To be able to interact with Guests so early in training was just wonderful... because that's what I know how to do.

The new Canada costume, 100% girlier.


See you real soon!

Lindsey

Magical Moment: My first pin trade of my program was with a couple from California. It was their first trip to Disney World and their first pin trade.

Pixie Dust for: Disney Facilitators, who encourage and reward Disney keeners like me.

1 comment: